Thursday, November 17, 2011

We've got a file on you...new K-Wings!

So, it's official!  My favorite K-Wing this season is Justin Taylor.  I told myself I was done picking young, promising forwards because they go away too quickly, but I couldn't help it.  He's a lot of fun to watch play (as is Brandon Svendsen).  Babyface 2,
which I will NOT be calling him all season because it makes me which Fournier was still playing for us, has had a pretty good start to the season.  I've watched him score shorthanded and on the pp, so I'm pretty happy with special teams performance.  I have a feeling he'll take off a little more as the season progresses.  Svendsen
has been fucking ridiculous.  The kid (using the term loosely) has a whopping 14 points in 10 games.

I would like to take a moment to discuss the 6-5 win from a couple weeks ago.  I was severely disappointed in our play and the apparently uneducated K-Wings fans (not all of them, just...a particular one sitting to my right).  We played a dirty, undisciplined game.  Specifically the 3rd period.  And we got called on it.  I feel particularly bad for Riley Gill who was playing FIERCE.  I don't care that he had 5 goals scored against him.  He took 46 shots and those goals were the result of complete defensive COMAS in front of him.  No offense.  Obviously.  I don't give a shit that Asselin and Anthony each got two goals a piece.  Riley Gill deserved 1st star and a lot of beer from his teammates for saving their asses.
Gold star, Riley, gold star for you.  And this is what Darryl Bootland gets (I obviously don't give a shit that he had the gamewinner, either):
Was I strong enough in my opinions on this game?  I don't know.  I'm just glad that the following game was better.  Much better.  I hope they got their asses kicked for playing like that.

If you can't already tell, I'm not a fan of Darryl Bootland.
He's my new Darryl Lloyd.  It's not even that big of an adjustment.  Same first name.  Invert their numbers.  Take away some of the explosive skating power.  And you have Darryl Bootland.  Sure, he scores.  And then he punches people.  And hits them.  And punches them some more.  And takes bad penalties.  Not impressed, sweetie.  Not at all.  This is a new era of hockey.  We are NOT the Flyers from the 70s.  We are not the Islanders from last year.  Learn some respect and use your skill to your advantage.  A pretty goal and a WELL-TIMED fight and legal physical play are more impressive than getting kicked out of the game for being an asshole.
I would ALSO like to mention that showboating?  You look stupid.  This is not showmanship.  This is ego.  I think I might dislike him more than I disliked Darryl Lloyd.  Lloyd had more redeeming qualities.  Bootland has some stick handling skills.  If only he would use them more often.  His performance in the 6-5 win and the more recent 4-1 LOSS was less than exemplary.  Way less.  (The 4-1 loss?  Holy fucking shit!  What the hell kind of game was that?!?)

On to the GOOD things about this season...  We're sitting pretty close to the top of our division with a 7-3 record.  We've played two fewer games than Chicago, at the top of our division, so it will be interesting to see what happens when it all evens out.  (Las Vegas has the league leading scorer, but they also have the most GA.  Defense, boys.)  Wheeling has an 8-3 record, so I'm pretty happy with that.  Our power play is looking sick!  In a phenomenally good way.  Ranked 2nd in the league, which is great because our PK?  It could be a hell of a lot better.  Despite having 2 shorties (Thank you JT and Svendsen!), we have one of the worst PKs in the league.  Super disappointed.  PKs are kinda my thing.  I hearts them.  A lot.  Especially if JStaal is working one out. (I know, I know!  It has been made clear to me that not everyone is as cool as Jordy.  Or Adsy.  Or Cookie.)

The D-men are impressing me.  Sort of.  We have a few who are playing really well (with the exception of our loss to Trenton last weekend).  Sova has been solid for us and so have Reid and Ellington. The biggest problem I'm noticing is that our defensemen are not focusing on their jobs.  As in, defense.  They're not working hard enough at getting into shooting lanes, back checking, seeing the ice, helping their goalie.  There are moments when I get really excited because the d-men are joining the rush and make some nifty moves to get the puck in deep.  And then there are the more frequent moments when I want to punch them in the face.  The moments when they don't apply any pressure on the other team, let the puck-carrier deke easily around them and leave wide open ice in front of the goalie.  The loss against Trenton (which heralded the return of two former K-Wings d-men, Versteeg and Syvret) was a pathetic example of defense.  The early goals by Trenton were ones that probably should have been saved by Clermont (in his first showing), but the subsequent goals occurred because Clermont's teammates left him out to dry.

This is Joe Sova's first full professional season and he was named performer of the month of the ECHL last month.  Nifty thrifty.
I originally planned on showing him playing, you know, actual hockey.  But this was too cute.  And I'm a bit of a sucker for cute.  He previously played at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, is about 6 months older than me, and from Illinois.  He lists the New Jersey Devils as his favorite team, but I'm pretty sure when a team has the rights to you and you want to play in the NHL, that's an automatic.  I would suck up, too.  He's going to do well for us this year (helped along by the fact that he sports the best number out there).

Lucky for Reid, he's on loan to Houston.  Good for him getting a stint up in the AHL.  Bad for us, because I've loved watching him play.  He's feisty, strong on the puck, and responsible in his own end.  Ellington stuck out a couple weekends ago (in a good way!), lugging the puck into the offensive zone, making plays.  I love it when I get to watch d-men do that (and, as previously stated, play defensively).

Speaking of two weekends ago, we played the new-to-the-league Chicago Express in a 7-2 WINNER.  It was super fun to watch, and despite the fact that we won by 5 goals, Chicago was a great opponent and it was a well-fought, exciting game.  As chance would have it, the new owners of the Express were sitting behind me and a father of one of the Express players was also sitting behind me.  They were appropriately supportive (and loud) for their team and were generally very nice and good-humored.  The dad (of one, Evan Stephens) mentioned that his son played for Dartmouth previously.  Me, being the nosy person I am, perked right up.  Because who else, but MISTERBENLOVEJOY, played for Dartmouth.  I, of course, turned around and asked him what years because "one of my favorite Penguins players played for Dartmouth!"  And he knew exactly who I was talking about.  Turns out that they did not play the same years; that Lovejoy graduated the year before, but that his son did know him.  (I worked it out all by myself that meant that he played with Lovejoy, the youngest, last year.)  It was a lovely game.  I got a repeat against Chicago this past weekend at least.  Since the STH I sit next to went out of town this weekend and were LOVELY and offered their tickets to me for both games I got to attend both without using up any of mine.  They're getting jam for Christmas.  At the very least.

***********

The new boys:

Ryan Del Monte, right wing, #9.  Maybe we'll see him, maybe we won't.
Classy shit, this picture.  They were taking notes from the Canadian women's Olympic team.  Ryan is the one on the left blowing smoke rings.  I suppose this merits some explanation.  He played for the Cincinnati Cyclones in 2010 when they won the Kelly Cup.  He also played four years at Brock University and split time last season with Cincinnati and South Carolina of the ECHL and Rochester and Worcester of the AHL.  Information for creepers (of which I'm not...really...seriously...mostly not): no twitter account that I can find, but he does have a facebook.  Most of it is private (smart boy!) and the only thing I gleaned was that it was indeed the Ryan Del Monte I was looking for and he's fb friends with Biznasty (which means they must be bffs in real life).  Information for those of you mostly concerned about what he's going to contribute to the K-Wings: First of all, the stats on his bio page on the K-Wings website are wrong.  Thank goodness I double check, because I was doing a double take on the only 5 games in 08-09 season.  The stats under Johnstown are actually for Charlotte in the 09-10 season and they left out the Johnstown stats for 08-09.   As I said before, maybe we'll see him, maybe we won't.  He started the season up in Worcester and he's still there--albeit on the injured list.  He's played 8 games with them so far and has notched an assist and 4 penalty minutes.  He sustained an injury during a game against the Ice Caps from Patrice Cormier and has not played since.  IF we see him back down here (I'm sure he's hoping for a swift recovery and that we won't.), expect decent production and at least 1-2 minor penalties a game.  Familiar faces he's played with before: Jon Landry, Wes O'Neill, Chris Clackson, Eric Kattelus, Garret Suter.

Bryan Haczyk, forward, #12.  Rookie!
In case you were wondering (because I know you were), that picture is NOT from the last couple years.  Haczyk went to Seton Hall Prep and this is from his junior year.  (I'm not a creeper. It was on page one of the google image results!)  He's originally from Secaucus, NJ, according to the K-Wings page, Nutley, NJ, according to his twitter.  Believe what you want.  I'll try not to hold that against him.  He played four years at Niagara University and GRADUATED with a degree in accounting (a semester early).  I don't know why, but I get all excited when I see that a hockey player actually finished his degree.  Information for creepers:  He does have a twitter account.  Find it yourself.  I'm not even going to bother with facebook.  My mind works like this: Twitter=creeping and facebook=personal/private.  :D  Information for those of you concerned about actual hockey information: He had a breakout senior year at Niagara production-wise, but had numbers all over the place, so it's hard to tell.  He had a good game on Saturday and got a call up Sunday and has been returned to us already.  Crossing my fingers that he continues this good play.  I keep telling myself that I need to take notes when I go to games.

Eric Kattelus, forward, #15.  Michigander, and therefore a Red Wings fan.
He played for Michigan Tech.  It would have been four years, except he was dismissed in November of his senior year for a violation of team rules.  This was after a two month suspension the previous year.  Of course, these things are always kept hush-hush about the WHY.  And I won't speculate.  Except to say that he better not fuck up here (because we're starting to look like the home of dismissed players...).  Information for creepers:  No twitter that I can tell.  If you're feeling supes creepy, feel free to do your own digging.  Information for the hockey-minded crowd: I've seen a few nifty moves from him during games and he's been an ok performer.  He had  a couple not-so-good games this past weekend.  Every time I noticed him (with the exception of one moment in Saturday's game), it wasn't for the right reasons.  Step it up, boyo!

Nick Sirota, forward, #20.  Congrats on your first games and goals as a K-Wing!
I was going to post a serious picture.  But then I saw this.  And I'm pretty sure he might be the only current K-Wings of whom there is a bobblehead.  And I couldn't resist.  Anyway, this is his third full year as a pro hockey player.  He played a few games with Idaho once his collegiate career was done and played the last two years in Missouri in the CHL.  See above picture.  :D  Information for creepers: I gots nadda.  Information for you hockey nuts: Ironman type with steady improvement.  I think we'll see him get better and better as the season goes on.  So far, I'm quite optimistic.  He finally got to play three games ago and has been put in every game since.  And has accumulated 2 goals, 1 assist and a +3 rating.  Also, he's from Wisconsin and is a Blackhawks fan.  This automatically gives him a leg up on Kattelus.  Familiar faces as former teammates: Blake Friesen.

Steven Anthony, forward, #21.  I've got connections galore on this guy...
1. He's from Halifax.  Who do you know that has a house in Halifax?  (Ok, not who do you know?  Who do you wish you knew?)  Sidsters.  Apparently he's missing home right now (thank you, twitter).
2. He played juniors for the Saint John Sea Dogs and won the Memorial Cup last season with none other than Penguins first round, 2009 draft pick, Simon Despres.  (Current Baby Pen, Nick Petersen, also played a season with them.)
Steven is a draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks (Thank you for sending him to us, oh lovely affiliate!) and spent part of the preseason up there.  He's played well for us and I'm hoping to see him get more ice time.  Information for creepers:  Yes to twitter.  Follow him on your own.  He's not as creative as Bissonnette, but then, who is?  Pretty sure he's one of those examples that I would use for my reasoning of not really wanting to meet anyone from my favorite teams.  No offense, but I tend to get along with nice, quiet, nerdy boys the best.  And hockey players don't usually fit that mold.  (Although, he put reading down as a hobby for the K-Wings website.  Really?  I'm curious...)

Darryl Bootland doesn't count as being new.  Moving on.  Jerkoff. 

Harry Young, D-Man!, #2.
As you can see, Harry won the Memorial Cup as well.  Twice.  With the Windsor Spitfires.  Back-to-back.  I suppose that means he has bragging rights over Steven.  A draft pick of the Devs, Sir Harry (because that just sounds better) spent parts of his preseason this year and last year up with the big club and most of last season playing in the AHL.  As much as I want quality D-men down here in the 'zoo, I'm sure he's hoping for a call-up.  Information for creepers:  I will be officially super creeped out if you can find his twitter account just with his name.  If he has one.  Information for K-Wings fans: He's only played a few games for us and I'm excited to see more.  He obviously has a feeling for winning, so let's hope that rubs off on us.  Other than that, I don't know much.  The repeated scratching doesn't bode well, I suppose.  But you never know!  Familiar faces in former teammates: Elgin Reid, Michael Neuvirth, Taylor Hall.

Mike Matczak, Defenseman, #7. Officially a goal-scorer in professional hockey.
Mike played four years of college hockey at Yale and is another Jersey boy (too many, considering that Jersey ain't that big).  He attended Milton Academy in his youth (because he's obviously aging) and captained the squad as a senior.  The only fun hockey-related, non-generic fact I can come up with is that his first professional hockey game was against the Baby Pens.  He got a call from the Adirondack Phantoms in the morning and was on the ice that night shortly after finishing his college career last season.
Familiar faces...: Matt Clackson, Kenny Agostino (for those of you who don't know, he was a 2010 Penguins draft pick; currently playing at Yale).

Joe Sova, DDDDD, #11.  Best number on the team.  Obs.  Already winning awards for it [and his play.]
I know I already talked about him a bit.  I should mention that, as part of the 2010 Alaska Nanooks (yes, nanooks) team, he was part of their first ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.  Coolio.  If any team is going to goad him in to fighting for the first time, it's ours.  Go figure.  I'm pretty sure I'll be just fine if we don't.  I'm hoping to get at least  half of our games out of him this season, but he's working pretty hard to be noticed by the Devs. Familiar faces: Max Pacioretty (evil=Habs), Eddie Olczyk (son of Eddie Olczyk, former Penguin)

Taylor Ellington, D (again), #23.  Vancouver 2nd round draft pick 2007.
Taylor's been a pretty reliable defenseman.  I couldn't resist putting his stylized draft pic in.  I mean, it's not as cool as Sid's (which his FIRE), but I realize that not everyone can be that cool.  Hockey's Future cited (back when he was drafted) that he's developing a mean streak in the defensive end.  I'm not sure I appreciate that too much, but we'll see.  Also, his birthday is HALLOWEEN.  I'm not sure if that's really fucking awesome or really fucking horrible.  He played junior hockey for the Everett Silvertips.  The Silvertips.  I hope that bodes well.  Silver.  Stanley.  Awesomeness.  Familiar faces: Michael Grabner (why have they all played with guys who play for evil teams?), Nolan Baumgartner (who had a very brief stint as a Penguin), Evan Rankin, and former and current K-Wings: Darryl Bootland, Ryan McGinnis, Rick Cleaver, and Riley Gill.


I've already discussed Maxime Clermont.  Crossing my fingers that he'll improve.  Or that we play Gill a LOT.

Music moment!: I think it's time for some Blur.  Out of all my favorites (and there are many), Blur gets tops.  Genius.  That's what they are.  Absofuckinglutely genius.  Once again, thank you sister.  (She's a bigger Blur fan than me.  She did start it.)

Beginning with "Tender," as it is my favorite love song.  Work.  Of.  Art.

I was going to do a live version, but the little bit, "my eyes are blue..." when it goes into harmonies...  Oh my goodness.  It just is so much better with Damn doing all the harmonies.  The man is...Mm, mm, mm.  That lines is so yummy that I just melt into a puddle of sugary goodness.  I've had moments where I just listen to it over and over and over and over and over...

I'm having a really, really difficult time trying to keep this short.  Here's two more and then you should go listen to every Blur song recorded.  And then repeat.
If you're thinking that they sound familiar, it's because they should.  If you're reading a hockey blog, then you should recognize their biggest American hit:
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!  In my head, that was Sidney scoring.

No comments: